I’ve been told countless times that I should really cut my bangs. I grew up with bangs and they drove me crazy. They were always in my eyes or sticking to my forehead. I even despised the word itself “bangs”. It just didn’t sound right. However, bangs are all the rage right now. Everyone is sporting a fringe in Hollywood from Jessica Alba to Reese Witherspoon.
Cutting your bangs is a big commitment and a daring move. I finally decided it was time to get over my bang fears and preconceptions. I took my new found courage and visited Alissa Tietgen, a bang expert at Neil George Salon in Beverly Hills. Alissa gave me a fabulous edgy fringe. I’m glad I caved. I’m receiving so many compliments and have learned to love the once dreaded bangs and learned never to judge a book by its cover
If you’re looking to join the bang bandwagon, Alissa gave me some great styling and maintenance tips:
- After washing your hair, blow dry your bangs from temple to temple, left to right, using your forehead as the template. Then blow dry bangs straight down from overhead.
- Repeat until bangs are fully dry.
- Grab the middle section of you bangs and start to trim at the brim of your nose to desired length.
- Then meet each side section across to the middle section. Trim the side bangs to desired length holding them across to middle section and using it as your guide.
- To keep your bangs looking thick, spray some dry shampoo under your bangs as needed.
- Trim your bangs every 3-4 weeks